Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1227670 times)

Serendipity

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1260 on: September 16, 2017, 02:10:42 PM »
dyinghousecontruction 

I think this is an excellent translation and I understand it's implications but CIG have spent years modifying the engine, utilising those employees who know it with German precision, of you get my meaning, for eighteen months or so, it could end up being a very nice toolset. Bad workmen, or not, aside.

If they think they can sell something, maybe they can? They've sold copious amounts of other things that appeared overvalued, maybe other assets they've created can be hawked on.

N0mad

« Reply #1261 on: September 16, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
it could end up being a very nice toolset

:laugh:   :lol:                   
Ah, yes, I've missed your sense of humour on these forums this past week.

Just in case you were actually serious:

:siren: THEY CANNOT MAKE THE GAME WORK :siren:
I hope that was clear.

nightfire

« Reply #1262 on: September 16, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
If they think they can sell something, maybe they can? They've sold copious amounts of other things that appeared overvalued, maybe other assets they've created can be hawked on.

Everything they sold so far, is based on the hope that there will be a finished game called "Star Citizen" in the distant future.

Once it becomes clear that this game will never be finished, those "assets" and "toolsets" will go straight to the dumpster with zero buyer interest. What use is an asset if the game it was built for doesn't exist, and what use is a toolset if it could not help bring a game to life?

Bubba

« Reply #1263 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
Yeah, German precision... That's what it is. You know, some of us do IT project management as a hobby, or worse. Not, you know €100 million + projects -- I mean,  at that level, there are too many idiots who don't understand the problems of integrating complex systems, and so idiots rush in where angels fear to tread.
That said, managing (swiss) Germans comes with its own joys. Eleventh months ago, I started work managing a Swiss-German prpject. The previous manager quit six months previous, and my apppintment was slowed by the fact that I was AAA (Asian, American, or African). Yes, it wasn't that hard to take a project that was nearly a year behind and catch up, but that 'efficiency' is half employees who stress out when they don't have reasonable work guidance, and half bureaucracy that remains small and efficient. Now I invite you to find someone in Germany who can claim that the paperwork is anything but soul-crushing, and I ask you, if such people are "efficient," why is the project behind schedule?

In other words, this looks to me like top-level mismanagement. There's  damn good employees around the world, andcoding ain't microtechnic. If none of the dev teams can show something excellent, that's all you need to know.

Edit: Motto, wij zullen niet spreken van het Verschil tussen Duits en Nederlands, hoor!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:06:23 PM by Bubba »

Motto

« Reply #1264 on: September 16, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
Nederlands ist schwieriger :-)

In der Sprache geht es eigentlich ohne Probleme, aber im Schrift bin ich leider nicht zo schnell, und so gut, wie im English. Die Fehler sind wahrscheinlich etwas mehr und deutlicher. Zu wenig Übung ;-)

And yes, I am a IT Projectmanager too. Just not the multiple millions kind. Not yet  :smugjones:

StanTheMan

« Reply #1265 on: September 16, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
dyinghousecontruction 

I think this is an excellent translation and I understand it's implications but CIG have spent years modifying the engine, utilising those employees who know it with German precision, of you get my meaning, for eighteen months or so, it could end up being a very nice toolset. Bad workmen, or not, aside.

CIG CLAIM to have spent years modifying Cryengine

The results are evident in the current release and the latest demo.

No programming or project management skill required -- just a little bit of critical thinking.

And thats BEFORE we all start listening to experts like DEREK and the many other relevant professionals here and elsewhere.

Darklegend1

« Reply #1266 on: September 17, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »
dyinghousecontruction 

This guy is a hardcore moron. period. frankenengine on sale...ahahaha :laugh:

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1267 on: September 17, 2017, 11:53:55 PM »
The only thing of value within CIG are its clients.

Its tech is worthless, so too is its IP, and its name has no value.

edit- Part of me is surprised CIG hasn't been sued by Games Workshop over the use of the "Space Marine" name.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:56:59 PM by Aya Reiko »

Fool Me Once

« Reply #1268 on: September 18, 2017, 12:16:29 AM »
I actually think it's the other way around for this one. Put the "good parts" in the IP shell and let the current CIG production die out.

Is the IP worth anything though? Every so often they bring out those two lore writers that build up the in lore "universe" that CIG can´t build, is that what CIG thinks is worth anything? Is it the ships themselves? What worth is a Hornet outside of Star Citizen? Its not particularly good looking at all. In fact, outside of the universe aesthetics no CIG ship looks all that great. Its pretty obvious CR wanted his stuff to look very distinct from what is normally found in SCI-FI settings. Great for branding, but what worth does it have if there is no brand?

I guess trying to salvage the IP to sell is better than letting the bank have it, it just reeks of even more desperation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:19:43 AM by Fool Me Once »

Motto

« Reply #1269 on: September 18, 2017, 03:23:57 AM »
I don't think there is anything in CIG that actually has some value and that it's just a way to try to get away with this fiasco. At first, Chris probably did believe that he could do this. Then he realised it wasn't going to happen. Then he realised he's not going to get rescued by another gamecompany. And finally he realised the money given to him actually meant he had to deliver something in return, or give the money back. So now, he's panicking  :supaburn:

Darklegend1

« Reply #1270 on: September 18, 2017, 04:35:49 AM »
The only thing of value within CIG are its clients.

Its tech is worthless, so too is its IP, and its name has no value.

edit- Part of me is surprised CIG hasn't been sued by Games Workshop over the use of the "Space Marine" name.

They used star marine not space marine.

N0mad

« Reply #1271 on: September 18, 2017, 04:53:48 AM »
They used star marine not space marine.

No Man's Sky had legal wranglings with Sky (the Broadcaster) about their name - see here.

Depends on how annoyed Games Workshop are.

Darklegend1

« Reply #1272 on: September 18, 2017, 04:57:18 AM »
I don't think there is anything in CIG that actually has some value and that it's just a way to try to get away with this fiasco. At first, Chris probably did believe that he could do this. Then he realised it wasn't going to happen. Then he realised he's not going to get rescued by another gamecompany. And finally he realised the money given to him actually meant he had to deliver something in return, or give the money back. So now, he's panicking  :supaburn:

:thumbsup:

and i dont even thing the assets are of any use to any other game company as to be used in a 'real game' as the polycounts of assets are way too high and inefficient thus the team will have to decimate all the assets so as to keep the performance at par which would make the value of assets substantially low but not zero offcourse.

N0mad

« Reply #1273 on: September 18, 2017, 05:13:12 AM »
Interesting point about the assets, please suggest changes, but as I see it the value in the various assets is:
  • Game Engine: They don't own it
  • Code Base: nothing works
  • Art Assets: nothing that can't be done with a good art team and the right software
  • MoCap: most of the mocap work by the A-list actors is very specific to the SQ42 story, therefore not valuable to anyone else
  • Email lists of fans - probably quite valuable, potentially illegal to sell anyway

Darklegend1

« Reply #1274 on: September 18, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »
Interesting point about the assets, please suggest changes, but as I see it the value in the various assets is:
  • Game Engine: They don't own it
  • Code Base: nothing works
  • Art Assets: nothing that can't be done with a good art team and the right software
  • MoCap: most of the mocap work by the A-list actors is very specific to the SQ42 story, therefore not valuable to anyone else
  • Email lists of fans - probably quite valuable, potentially illegal to sell anyway

well they can sell their rigged 3d modeled assets but then again the poly count is too high to be used in a real game.
apart from that i agree on all the 5 points you made. i dont know how many hours of mocap data they have actually cleaned for use from the hundred of hours of data they have which is useless for anyone not making squadron 42(given they like the story :laugh:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk